Clean drinking liquid is not always available. A lot of households result in buying filtered or distilled one for safe drinking. Buying processed water, however, is usually an added expense to the family.
Fortunately, it is easy to make your own clean water at home. This way you will be saved from routinary and sometimes expensive purchase.
Distilled water is purified liquid made by condensing steam or vapor from sources that are not so pure.
This includes water from well, sea, as well as tap water, snow, streams, or plants.
In the most natural sense, you make clean water when you remove the minerals and chemicals from the water to have it cleaned.
Read on to learn how you can make clean water at home.
Make distill water on your stove
You can turn impure liquid to a distilled one over an oven, grill, or campfire so much easier.
Prepare the following materials ahead:
- 5-gallon stainless steel or aluminum pot
- Rounded lid for the pot
- Glass or metal bowl that floats inside the cup
- Ice cubes
Follow these steps:
- First, fill the 5-gallon stainless steel or aluminum pot about halfway full of tap liquid.
- Place the glass bowl in the liquid and be sure that it floats. See to it that the bowl does not touch the bottom of the pot. If the container does not float, remove it from the water and set around baking rack on the bottom of the pan. After this, place the bowl back in the liquid.
- Watch the liquid settling in the bowl. This should be hot but not to the point of boiling. If the liquid begins to boil, turn down the heat on the stove.
- Next, create a condensation effect with a hot or cold barrier. To do this, invert the pot's lid and fill it with ice. Once the hot steam hits the cold cap, it will create condensation.
- Then, boil the liquid in your pot. As it continues to boil, it will cause steam to rise and condense on the pot's lid. The condensation will then drip into the bowl. This is now called the distillation. Continue to the distillation process until you already have enough clean liquid in the bowl for your needs.
- Once done and satisfied, remove your pot from the heat and take off the lid.
- Then, take the bowl of clean liquid out of the pot of boiling water.
- Lastly, allow the clean liquid to cool before storing it.
Distill tap water with glass bottles
Another way of distilling water is through the use of glass bottles. To do this, just follow these steps:
- First, prepare two glass bottles. This process works better if at least one of the bottles curves outward from the neck. This will prevent the clean liquid from sliding back into the other container.
- Next, fill one bottle with tap water until it is almost full. It is best to leave approximately five inches or 12.7 cm from the top.
- Connect the two bottles together at the neck. To secure them tightly, use duct tape.
- Like the first procedure, use a five-gallon (approximately 18.927 L) stainless steel pot of boiling liquid to distill. Make sure the fluid is enough to cover the bottle filled with tap water.
- Next step is to tilt the conjoined bottles at about a 30-degree angle leaning the top. In here, the empty bottle on the inside of the pot's rim. This angle will allow you to collect the evaporated clear liquid easily.
- Put an ice pack or a bag of ice on top of the bottle. This will create a hot or cold barrier, which causes the evaporation of the liquid in the filled container to condense into the cooler bottle. This is now the distillation process.
- Continue the distillation process until you collect enough clean water in the bottle for your needs.
- Lastly, allow the clean water to cool before storing it.
Convert rainwater to drinking water
In case you need it, you can also use rainwater as a source of your clean water. To do this, follow these easy steps:
- First, put out a large and clean container outside for you to catch the rainwater.
- Collect enough amount of rainwater and leave this outside for two full days. This is important to allow the minerals to dissipate.
- Store the clean liquid in clean jugs. Note that while this method can produce drinkable liquid, it may not be 100% honest and reliable because pollutants and harmful bacteria may remain in the water. On this note, a safer way to make clean water is to boil it. If you are using rainwater, it is also better to chemically treat it to make sure it is free of harmful chemicals and contaminants.
Check out this great video on how to make your water clean:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Does distilled water taste flat?
Because of this, it is a misconception that clean liquid taste flat or funny. In fact, distilled water being in its purest form has a neutral flavor.
- What are the risks of drinking distilled water?
It may increase your body's level of acidity.
Distilled liquid takes away all mineral and nutrients. Because of this, your body is forced to give electrolytes to the mineral and nutrient-free water.
Hence your electrolytes level will slowly decrease and eventually cause electrolyte imbalance in your body.
It is indeed beneficial to learn how to distill your water at home. Apart from you can make sure your family is drinking safer water, you also save money form purchasing bottles or gallons of it. However, since you are trying to clean up impure water, make sure to follow safety measures. Remember, it is in the process and complete preparation that will define how effective how the method is going to be.